Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A New Venture for a New Year!

Hey friends!  I am thrilled to announce that I have been invited to be a regular contributor over at the Moebius Noodles blog.  Not heard of Moebius Noodles yet?  It's a fantastic resource for adventurous, meaningful math experiences for young children and their adults and has been an incredible resource in my own journey to math.

My first post Hidden Math: Book Edition is up now!  It includes two of my favorite children's books that have way more math in them than I first realized.  There's also a new post just today by Yelena on a similar theme.  Her post is called Math Goggles #1: Math-y Librarian and it highlights all the cool math she and her son found inside a beautiful library in her city.

Truly, I don't know where I'd be without Moebius Noodles (and other great resources like Let's Play Math and Living Math).  In the last year or so I would never have grown my math eyes or moving past a life-long math insecurity that started back in kindergarten with a bumblebee matching worksheet.  It was so utterly alarming and confusing to my five-year-old self that I can still remember that moment like it was yesterday. 

Today, however, relearning math slowly but surely along with my seven-year-old daughter has softened the edges of that memory. And, even better, I know that my strategy of focusing on first-order experiences, hands-on making, math games, living math books and sidewalk math adventures is bearing fruit.  Just today my seven year old (who is currently building competency with number multiples) stated confidently that not only does she "likes math" but that she is "good at it, too!

Yay for having fun with math and thanks to Maria and Yelena at Moebius Noodles for inviting me to join the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...