Friday, February 1, 2013

Video: Curved Crease Folding with Erik Demaine

A gorgeous example of mathematical art.



And a more in depth article from the Smithsonian on his process.

And...quick edit....A couple hours after I posted this I found an interview with Erik Demaine's father Martin.  In it he describes their process of making the the art and the math indistinguishable from each other.  He says:

"I was interested in the art and he was interested in the mathematics and we started exploring both together using the art as a visual idea for understanding many of the problems we were studying in mathematics.  And before we knew it I became hooked on the mathematics and he became hooked on the art and our goal today is to try and combine them so that they're kind of indistinguishable.  So you can't tell whether we're doing art or math but they're both there together."



That's what I'm trying to do in Math in Your Feet.  If you're interested, here is a video that I made recently describing how I combined percussive dance and elementary mathematics into the same learning and creating process. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'm going to try the circular paper folding activity.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...