Tuesday, February 21, 2012

You Can't Plan Perfect

I l.o.v.e. when things fall seamlessly into place. 

We've been talking about pentominoes for a week.  This morning I had the thought that today would be the perfect day to find some.

Looking for audio books at the library, we run across Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett. 

I say: "Hey, here's that book I was talking about. The boy carries a set of pentominoes in his pocket and uses them to solve a mystery about a missing piece of art. Wanna get it?"

We drive to the other side of town and find a beautiful set of lemon yellow overhead pentominoes for $4.

The kid can't wait and opens the pentaminoes bag in the car.  Plays with them.  Starts singing..."Is-o-be-ell...lo-o-o-ves...pen-ta-mi-noes!"

We're home and the kids pulls out the pentominoes and starts the book.  I'm typing 'how to use pentominoes' into Google and the narrator starts to read..."About pentominoes..."

A few minutes later, the character Calder has just finished making a rectangle using seven pentominoe pieces and I look over and the kid has a rectangle in front of her.  I go over quickly and count her pieces...eight! 

You can never plan for something this wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...