Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lynda Barry Math: "Back-Story Problems"


It's sort of a convoluted story* about how I came upon this cartoon but when I first read it I burst out laughing and thought how perfect it was for what I'm doing these days. (Meaning, trying to teach math to my child who creates a back story or narrative for pretty much any any endeavor.)  So, I thought I'd share.  The image came from Lynda Barry's blog The Near Sighted Monkey.



*The long story, if you're interested, is that Lynda Barry went to my alma mater The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA.  She is a contemporary of Matt Groening (The Simpsons creator and Evergreen grad) and is, by all accounts, an incredible writing teacher.  I have been working up the courage to contact her to see if she might be interested in writing  for ALT/space, the online project of the Teaching Artist Journal (which I edit).  While I was thinking about all this I found her blog and saw that she would be teaching at a summer writing institute in my town.  That was a weird coincidence.  I heard through the grapevine that she is as wonderful as everyone says.  Although I have not yet worked up enough courage to get in touch, I have really been enjoying her blog!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...